Wednesday, August 11, 2010

DIY Braided Shirt

Just the other day I came across a youtube video (here) that taught you how to make a ripped braiding effect on your t-shirts. Now, I have an abundance of musty old t-shirts murking around the back of my closet and stuff into the bottomless depths of my drawers. So I thought I might as well try and revamp some of them with this braiding technique, and was very pleasantly surprised at how it turned out. You gotta go to read to the very end to see the results! Here goes:
You will need: Tshirt, sharp kitchen knife, scissors, pen, string&needle and a ruler.
Find any old t-shirt that you wouldn't mind screwing up, place it flat on a flat surface. Front or back depends on where you want the braid to be on. Lay a ruler horizontally/diagonally/vertically, whatever you like, on the tshirt and draw out a line.
Draw out inch increments along the line.
This is what it should look like after you're done.
Now draw out two-three inch increments in between the on inch increments.
This is what it should look like when you're done
Like so.
If you have really sharp scissors, then go ahead and use those to poke holes on the top of the lines. I didn't so I used a sharp kitchen knife instead to poke holes on the top of the increments. I poked the holes because it is so much easier to slip scissors into the holes and begin cutting.
Cut along the lines! (Reminds you of kindergarten doesn't it? Happier times....ahaha)
The shirt should look like this after you've cut them up. Rather skeletal isn't it?
Close up!
Now to begin braiding: loop the second increment into and out of the first increment.
Then loop the third increment into and out of the second increment.
So on and so forth.... This part of the braiding process is extremely hard to explain and I'm afraid I've explained it in vain. So I strongly suggest you go see the video to be sure.
This is what the braids should look like. Resembles more of a ladder at this point though....
I love close ups!
Now, using a string that is close to the colour of your shirt (or something compatible), string it into the eye of the needle and tie the ends together.
Loop the last increment onto the end of the braid. Hold it in place with two fingers like so ^.
Sew together! I think I did a cross stitch on this, but you don't have to do any fancy needlework. As long as it keeps the braid in place, it's good enough. Anyways, nobody's gonna go that close and inspect your craftsmanship.
Finished product!
I absolutely love the way it looks and the way it resembles a winding, diagonal spine running down my shirt! And the rips along the braided "spine" shows tons of skin, so that doesn't hurt either ;)

That's it, you're done! Simple right? You guys should definitely try this out, especially since it's so much more creative than just slashing your tshirts to make it looked ripped.

I will be wearing this shirt out, very soon, so I'll update and show you guys how it looks when it's worn!

-jess

P.S- Sorry for the darkness of the photos, I literally made this in the dark before midnight, with only a dying lamp and the flash on my camera to help me see.

1 comment:

Cinyi said...

damn, that's pretty damn cool ♥